It’s finally summertime, and we all know that means shorter units and funkier colors. We’ve teamed up with our fourth Outre Woman of the Year, TastePink (hair influencer and lover of the color pink), for a DIY dye tutorial on synthetic hair (X-pression Cuevana Bounce) to get you #summertimefine just in time for festival season.
For this tutorial, TastePink will be using our X-pression Cuevana Bounce crochet hair to customize a unit from scratch. And no need to feel intimidated by this DIY. Follow the super simple steps below to get a cute, colorful and curly look, customized by you for you. Let’s get into it.
What You Will Need:
- 5-6 packs of X-pression Cuevana Bounce (or any style) in the color 613
- A large bowl for mixing
- Rit Fabric Dye in the colors of your choice
- Towels for mess control
Step 1: The Dye
- Start with about ¼ cup of water and your fabric dye. Keep a pitcher of water near you to add a bit of water as you go, as needed.
- Pour a small amount of dye at a time until you achieve your desired color.
- Stir until completely mixed.
Step 2: The Dip
- Using 1 bundle of Cuevana Bounce at a time, dip and submerge the curls, gently stretching the hair to get dye into all of the bends in the hair.[Text Wrapping Break]Note: During this step, remember to be gentle as you work with the hair as to prevent frizz. Also don’t forget the gloves- unless you like colorful fingers that is…
Step 3: The Drying
- Ring excess dye and repeat as needed until you reach the desired intensity. Repeat this process with each bundle of hair.
- After you’ve dyed all of your bundles, lay them on a flat, smooth surface to dry overnight.
That’s it! After you’ve completed these steps, you can use your newly dyed hair to create a crochet wig or install them directly to your cornrows.
And last, but not least, be sure when you post those selfies to Instagram, you tag us at #OutreHair! 😉